14 November 2005

Jerzey

I headed to Jersey this weekend--partly to satisfy my urges to see my family, partly just to get out of NYC for a day, to breathe "fresh" air and see a different scene. Oddly, my trip there was relatively calm (I have a bad track record (no pun intended) with NJ Transit specifically, and trains in general).

Having arrived in NJ, I took the short walk from the train station to a house on Hamilton where my brother's band Outsmarting Simon was playing one of their first shows back in Jersey. In an exciting turn of events, my brother's favorite (now defunct) band, Penfold opened for them, playing a surprise reunion show. They played an amazing show, performing their set with great skill and filling the place with the sort of energy that can only be created when playing before people that have obviously truly missed a band's performances.
Outsmarting Simon played a great show as well. It's always strange for me to watch people in the audience sing along to my brother's songs and to see an idolizing glow radiating out of so many eyes. I even had the weird experience of watching the following text message be written by a girl standing near to me:
"I'm watching Outsmarting Simon play and you're already gay!"
I spent ages trying to figure out what this message meant. Most of it is absolutely self explanatory, and requires little thought. This girl obviously felt that her attendance at the show was worthy of envy. OK. I understand that. I even understand her use of the vernacular, somewhat offensive term "gay" (presumably not referring to anyone's sexuality, but rather using gay as a synonym for uncool or lame). What I still can't figure out is her use of the word already.
Why is this person already gay? Did she expect them to be gay next Thursday and was surprised that they were already gay by early Saturday night? What can this possibly mean?

Beyond these linguistic considerations, the night was packed with highlights. I saw some old friends that I haven't spent any time with in years, and really enjoyed their company. My brother introduced me to the "Gift of GAB" -- GAB is Golden Anniversary Beer, which sells for approximately $2.50 a six-pack, making it a gift both for the buyer and for those that happen to be around him (as it is so easy to be generous with a beer that costs less than $0.50). I got to spend time with my brother enjoying the gift (someone else presented us with the GAB), eating delicious, but ultimately dangerous sandwiches (more later) and homemade cold sesame noodles (my brother's concoction).

All in all, this Jersey trip reiterated for me the obvious fact that a one-hour train ride into even previously known territories can be exciting, reinvigorating, and eye-opening.
Isn't that what everyone says about Jersey?




SANDWICHES

Just a quick note on these "dangerous" sandwiches. Suffice it to say that the mixture of Cheesesteak, fried mozzarella sticks, french fries, and chicken fingers did a number on my stomach, leaving me sick in the middle of the night.
Check out this website on the Grease Trucks

1 comment:

  1. it was an amazing time, thanks for coming down brother. i had a blast. we should do it again quite soon. also, i told steve you greatly enjoyed his company, and he made a point of telling me that he loved yours and to tell you he loves you. good deal.
    peej

    ReplyDelete