31 January 2006

Strangely Warm Daze

Yesterday was strangely warm here in NYC. The thermometer topped out around sixty degrees.
People were strolling around in tee shirts.
A temperature record set something like eighty years ago was broken.
Then the sun was hidden by some clouds and the customary cold set in.

Being back in New York, working, commuting has been strange and a bit difficult. It's tough to come from places where everything is new and exciting and be suddenly thrust into a familiar environment. I'm finding it more difficult than it was before to see stories in the quotidian movement of people in this city.

Nonetheless, I'm working hard to keep my eyes and mind open to the small happenings around me. Like, for instance, seeing a performer getting ready today in the subway, staring into a mirror, applying white makeup to her face (or maybe it was a he, I wasn't sure), dressed in strange clothes. I stood behind her, taking some photographs, ignoring the straphangers bumping me in their speedy passage through the tunnels. As I turned to leave, I looked back and saw her looking through the mirror back at me, smiling kindly, returning my curious gaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment