16 January 2006

Strasbourg

I'm in Strasbourg now, quite close to the German border.

This town is medieval (I think) and looks a lot like what you'd expect a small Swiss or German town to look like, much more than French. I haven't seen much yet, but I'll be sure to give a full report when I have.

I spent the last few days in Paris, quite a quiet time really. Unfortunately, having walked long distances barefoot in the Sahara has left me quite crippled. I did something terrible to my feet and I limp like a gimp everywhere that I go. This has obviously put a bit of a damper on attempts to see the sights of these beautiful cities.

What I have been doing with great success is eating. Moroccan food was wonderful, and I don't want to give the impression that it wasn't. However, to be completely honest, one grows tired of tagines and couscous and lamb after a few weeks. This is basically all that they eat in Morocco, it would seem.

France, on the other hand, is well deserving of it's gastronomical fame, and I am discovering this with each and every bite that I take.

I've enjoyed foie gras and fine cheeses and great wines and finally the other night I fulfilled my dream of eating Steak Tartare (see terrible photo below to get an idea of what it looks like). Steak Tartare is basically raw beef mixed with spices, sometimes with a cooked egg on top. My report on this dish: It's not bad, pretty good actually, but beef is better when cooked, in my opinion.

The foie gras here, while of course a cruel and immoral food, is delicious--rich and buttery and creamy and just plain fantastic. I've eaten it coupled with an onion chutney of sorts, spread on toasted bread...

I've also, as I've mentioned, been sucking down croque monsier sandwiches at a rate that I would not recommend for amateurs.

More soon once I've limped my way around this town.







1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:38 AM

    The only thing I know about Strasbourg is Kronenbourg.

    ReplyDelete