27 May 2006

Getting to Algeciras (26 May)

Bobadilla, Spain

I have just done some research into the name of this town "Bobadilla", and I have found that in the Middle Ages the name was given to certain areas designated as grazing areas for cattle (apparently the "bob" is like "bov" as in bovine).

Interesting.

I see the word much differently, however, and in a way much more fitting given my experiences in this town.

The Spanish language, like all Romance languages, has a noun form known as the diminuitive. The diminuitive, oddly enough, works just as one would assume, and makes things smaller. So basically, by merely adding an ending such as "ito" or "ico" or "illo", or their respective femenine and plural forms, I can make something big into something little.

For instance, if you have a house (casa) that is small (or somehow cute or endearing, as the diminuitive can also express this), we call it a "casita".

So, what then is a bobadilla? Well, a bobadilla is little bobada.

And what is a bobada? A bobada, put simply, is something that a bobo does.

And what is a bobo? A bobo is a fool, or dumbass, or idiot.

And so, a bobadilla is "a little thing that a dumbass would do"

Suffice it to say that the mere act of going to Bobadilla is, in and of itself, quite a foolish act. I am still not quite sure what I was doing there, expect that it had something to do with getting to Algeciras. I also know that every decision that I made yesterday was clouded by sleep deprivation and constant hunger, so I excuse myself on that basis, as well as on the fact that I did in fact finally make it to Algeciras yesterday.

Nonetheless, I cannot really excuse the residents of the town, many of who honestly seemed to be pretty stupid. I tried not to stare too much at the really strange ones, but I swear, this town had one church and at least ten bars, and I confirmed the existence of at least 6 total idiots and saw at least 5 photographs or paintings that featured shotguns.

But, all is well that ends well, I guess, and like I say I finally did make it to Algeciras, and today I made it into Morocco.

I'll write more later (or tomorrow) about the Algeciras to Morocco adventure. Right now, the sun is shining, coffee is calling, and this keyboard is driving me friggin crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment