14 September 2006

Life in Maine (Part X: Brave New World)

Nothing will ever again be the same. Everything has changed.

I caught a fish today. A little fish, but a fish all the same. I saw the fish rising, saw the distinctive concentric circles in the water, and I cast like I had never cast before. My line flew out before me, landing gently on the surface of the water. I began to pull the line, retrieving my fly....

And the little bastard bit and held on. And I pulled him in. I let out a yelp of joy and nearly jumped with pride.

"I just caught the smallest fish in West Branch Pond!" I screamed triumphantly, and those watching me from their cabins celebrated with me.

Interestingly, this comment was the perfect foil for the earlier bellow which I heard come from far out on the lake. A man, standing in a rowbotat amidst other fisherman, screamed, "God motherf@#$%% damnit! Son of a bitch!" I guessed that he hadn't caught a fish, and I reflected on the emotions that people place into such a sedentary, tranquil sport.

The first fisherman that I saw after my success was in the dining hall, about a half-hour later. He immediately told me a terrible fishing joke about a one-armed fisherman. Apparently I'm in the club now. I've passed the test.

This is glorious.

In other news...well, there is really no other news. Life here continues as it has over the past two weeks. Lots of work, cabins to clean and tables to serve and logs to lug. In between, moments of respite and fishing. And lots of eating (more soon on the West Branch Food, which deserves an entry all to itself).

I hope that all are safe and well.

2 comments: