04 September 2006

Life in Maine

I went for a walk this afternoon, trying to find the mysterious hillock from which one can supposedly make cellular phone calls. Eric had given me instructions on how to arrive. I nearly followed them, but apparently didn't go quite far enough to reach the magical cellular bubble.

Perhaps tomorrow.

Anyway, I had walked up the road that led to this cellular shangrila when I heard a car pass below. This is rare here, especially in the area where I was walking at the time, and so I looked back to see who was passing. A large pickup truck with a light atop (this is quite common) passed on the road below. I continued walking.

I soon heard the truck coming behind me. I turned to let it pass, stepping off of the roadway, and waved hello. The truck slowed, and then stopped fully.

A grizzled face beneath a baseball cap peered out at me. His friend in the passenger seat looked too. Between them sat a rather large rifle equipped with a rather large sight.

"Hey, you just out here walkin' for exericise?" he asked me.
"Yeah, just walking around. Trying to find cellular service. I heard there was some around here."

The men stared at eachother dumbfounded.

"Well, I don't know," drawled the passenger, "I have got service with my bag phone around here, but I don't know about any regular old cell phone."

I stared at the gun, praying these men were not going to shoot me.

The asked what I was doing in the area. I explained that I worked at West Branch Pond Camps.

"Where you from?" they asked.

"Jersey," I replied.

"Well, you sure have my sympathy," the driver of the vehicle replied.

We spoke for a few more minutes, and I tried to use my surprising New Jersey statistics (about 40% forest, and 15 or 20% farmland) to woo the men into changing their idea of the state, but I had little success. They offered me a ride, and I declined the offer.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I resent that remark. There are ignorant hicks with guns in every state in this country. And Maine does have it share of "Damn liberals." Having said that... are you sure you didn't meet my grandfather today? ;)

    ReplyDelete