05 February 2007

Still here somewhere

I know that I have been quite absent lately, but I've been pretty busy. As I mentioned in my last post, I'm working two jobs now--mornings at the University, teaching 75 students Spanish; evenings at the restaurant, bringing drinks and food to wealthy people.

It is a strange dichotomy, and one that is occasionally highlighted in odd ways. Like, for instance, last night, when the Chancellor of the University came in for dinner. Within the span of three minutes, we discussed desserts and class sizes.

It is good though, and the restaurant is allowing me to survive, considering that the University only pays me once a month (and not until the middle of February).

In other news, I have also recently been busy preparing for a presentation that I will need to give within the next few weeks. I have been nominated as the UVA Anthropology Department's choice for the UVA Jefferson Scholarship. The Scholarship is university-wide, and 35 incoming students will be competing for 10 scholarships. This means that in late February, I must go to UVA to schmooze it up and present my proposed research to a committee that will decide who receives the scholarship.

Needless to say, the next couple of weeks will be very busy and quite nerve-wracking. Still, if I am fortunate enough to receive the scholarship, this could make all of the difference between being a poor graduate student and not being a poor graduate student.

I hope that all are well, and thanks for reading. I'll post some pictures and updates soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling better and GOOD LUCK with the scholarship. You're brillant and that will be glaringly obvious to them, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:59 PM

    Buena Suerte amigo!! You are ridiculously smart and charming and I am sure you will be great.

    ReplyDelete