19 May 2007

Mountain Time

I had considered leaving Chaoen today--there is not all that much to see or do here. And yet, somehow the supposedly "laid back" charm of this place has a way of growing on me. Besides, I figure that after the non-stop two days of travel that I spent arriving here, I should really relax and remain immobile for at least a few days.

I headed into the mountains yesterday with some fellow travelers that I met in town. So Mathieu, Miranda and I walked up the hill leaving town, passing the crumbling mosque and the fields of grain, passing the herds of sheep and goats and the spring that serves as the source of the local irrigation, finally arriving at the fields of marijuana that my companions wished to see.

It was a long, hot walk, much longer than I had remembered from last year, and we were all relieved when we finally arrived at our destination. We were immediately approached by some local farmers that wished to sell us some of the local produce. I thanked them and politely refused, Mathieu happily purchase some of their wares.

The land is beautiful here--impressive mountains and awe-inspiring views, and the soil seems incredibly fertile given the location.

At night I shared a meal with my new friends, (seeing the sheep in the mountains had given me a real hankering for some lamb) and sipped tea until it grew late.

And then sleep, which is still a bit of an issue, as my body refuses to accept the time change. And today--tranquil--resting and hanging around the plaza, sipping tea...And then perhaps a stroll through the mountains once again.

Some pictures below.







No comments:

Post a Comment