02 May 2007

Music for Rich People

Well, I can't believe it.

People want to pay me and my roommate Xavi to play music for them. We've been hired for a gig tomorrow evening. We will be well paid to play music in other languages for a bunch of developers and real estate agents. I still don't really understand how or why exactly these people want us to play, but I'm not complaining.

They won't be complaining either, as long as they don't understand any Spanish. Some of the songs that I'll be singing (very normal, traditional songs), such as La Cucaracha, have such wonderful lines as:

The mule that I mounted
Is now mounted by my friend
But I don't care
Because I mounted her first



Or, as another example, take this verse from the same song:

The baker went to mass
And finding nothing for which to pray
Asked the Virgin Mary
For marijuana to smoke

All of this means that I have suddenly stepped over the threshold that divides "guy that plays guitar in his room" and "guy that plays the same stupid songs but gets paid to do so by rich people."

Amazing.

We've also got another gig tomorrow night, with Sirius.B, at a bar called "The New French Bar". I'm not sure if there ever was an "Old French Bar" or not. Our bassist, Bruce, has come back into town, so we are finally a full band once again.

And my time here in Asheville comes to an end. Well, not an end, but there will be a brief hiatus before the Asheville saga continues. I leave next week for New York/New Jersey to see family and friends, before heading back out across the Atlantic for different climes. By the 16th or 17th of May I will be in Morocco, where I plan to stay until the beginning of July. At that point, I head back to Spain for work until the beginning of August.

More to come soon, all of a much different nature, as I head back out on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment