13 June 2007

The Promised Land

So here is the tour of Driss’s home, as promised. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, I have had to make a number of short video segments in order to get the video up online.

Driss did all of the camera work, and we decided to exaggerate the « Moroccan-ness » of the video by dressing me in traditional Moroccan garb. My wardrobe consists of kandrissa (known throughout the world as Ali Baba pants), which are not very visible, a djellaba (the Ewok-like robe which I am wearing), the sesh (the thing wrapped around my head), and a pair of babouche (the funny yellow slipper-type shoes), which I do not think are all that visible either.

The videos show the majority of the house, though I did not enter the room where Driss’s sisters sleep, since I have never done so before. Note that the walls of most of the house are built with handmade mud bricks, a very common thing in this area. The construction of houses with earth keeps the house quite cool in the summertime and warm in the wintertime. The environment here, being nearly Saharan, demands such construction techniques.

I have yet to upload the final clip, which shows the backyard, but I will soon update this post. We will see if I get around to it. If I don’t, the backyard is an enclosed area of dry earth, which, when watered, works as a bit of a garden. There is also a an animal pen in which the family’s sheep are kept.

And…I apologize for any problems with the videos. I think that this is the last time I will decide to make any sort of video project in a country with third world internet connections. This small-time business has cost me way too many valuable hours of my life.

Enjoy !


Front Door and Television Room





« My Room »





Driss’s Room and Bathroom





Interior Patio and Garden





Salah and Youness’s Room





Kitchen





The Well


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:05 AM

    do you have permission to show this on youtube? I know many people here who are very unhappy with people like you!

    ReplyDelete