16 June 2007

Saturday Souq

Today was my third and last Saturday Souq. Once again Driss and I made the trek through the hot and dusty streets, stopping to say hello with incredible regularity. With everyone that we met we discussed the heat, as always, as if some sudden and unexpected change in the weather had occurred.



Once at the souq, we wandered around, and I was, as always, struck by the particular mix of aromas. The smells of spices and incense, body odor and freshly killed animals, all mixed together to form the odor that is Morocco--neither good nor bad, or perhaps both.

We left soon after arriving, needing to escape the relentless rays of the sun. I bought a watermelon to bring to the house, and we helped women that we knew to carry their produce and other recently purchased items. They carried things on their heads and in their hands, and I knew that our assistance was as unnecessary as it was appreciated.

I leave here on Tuesday, once again convinced to stay one more day. If all goes well, I will be in Marrakech Tuesday night and I will leave on Wednesday evening on a flight to Madrid.

1 comment:

  1. Senor Bond,
    I've been intermittently keeping track of your Morocco adventures and I must say, I dig 'em. Seriously, good stuff. And so disciplined, writing most every day. If only this discipline could be carried over to the classroom...only kidding, only kidding. I look forward to your adventures in Europe, but expect them to fall short of Morocco, at least from a reader's perspective. Take care and all of that other stuff.

    Roberto/Dan/Senor Hemmings

    ReplyDelete