03 June 2007

Update from Rachidia

I am unable at the moment to write much, but I wanted to share some photographs of my recent activity here in Rachidia.

Things are going very well, I have been keeping very busy with visits to families and associations, meals and walks and bike rides. I am slowly but surely learning to speak Darija, the Moroccan dialect of Arabic, and this is very exciting.

Enjoy the photos. More to come soon, including an analysis and description of Moroccan bathing techniques and an exposé on marriage in Rachidia.


A visit to the workplace of friends (they are painters), and a shared meal (tajine cooked on site by yours truly and Abdou)



Wire sculpture by Chris Pancho Bond, constructed while waiting in the hot sun for lunchtime to arrive and the workers to stop working.



Woman carrying huge bag of something very heavy. It is balanced on her head, at times slightly aided by the fingertips of one hand.



With Driss and Rdwan at the weekly Souq (market)



Watermeon (dlah) at the weekly Souq.



Helping out at the bookstore in the binding of my Darija textbook. (A photocopy of the Peace Corps language guide for Morocco--Copyright rules here are as closely followed as they are in China).



At class with Abdou and his professor, Aziz.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:37 PM

    oh my god! my t-shirt is in morocco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:40 AM

    Ditch the New Balances and get some sport sandals like the rest of Er-Rachidia!

    ReplyDelete