17 August 2007

Cozumel

I have been lax in my storytelling in recent days, but I will surely return, have no fear. I have been so busy doing things that I have had little time to tell about doing things.

Which I think is a pretty good excuse.

I have been, since the last post, in Isla Mujeres, Puerto Morelos, Tulum, and now Cozumel. I am not going to write too much at the moment, since I am starving and it is 8:30 at night, but I would like to share a few interesting things.

1. This island, interestingly, achieved world acclaim and fame (at least in recent history) due to Monsiur Jacques Cousteau, who showed the world, through the miracle of television, the beauty of the reefs here. Apparently, according to Lonely Planet, the tourists were here almost overnight.

The reefs truly are beautiful, and just today, I saw a multitude of multi-colored fish, a number of skate (I think they were skate) and a few barracudas. Best of all, many of the reefs are just off the shore, which allows snorkelers to access them for free, rather than pay overpriced rates for boats and tours.

2. There is a Hurricane by the name of Dean (who does he think he is anyway?) that appears to be (here according to some periodical) "on a crash course with the Yucatan". In case you are not a geography wiz, Cozumel is just off the coast of the Yucatan. Cancun is on the Yucatan. I am on the Yucatan.

As far as I can tell, Dean is not scheduled to arrive here until later Monday afternoon or Tuesday, so I should be safe, though I would be a monster if I were not also worried for the safety of those that must remain here. Still, I am also making plans to leave the islands (tomorrow, in fact) so as to be better able to flee inland if necessary.

More soon, possibly not until my return, with photos, stories, and descriptions galore.

No comments:

Post a Comment