16 November 2009

Pies in Disguise



An explanation of the rather random picture from a few posts ago of a man holding a cup:

About a month ago, yearning for inspiration and needing to carve a design of some sort into a recently made clay cup (my main method of decorating pottery is a method called "sgraffito", in which one scrapes away at a layer of clay, ink, glaze, etc. to reveal a differently colored clay beneath), I opened a copy of the Mountain Xpress. The Mountain Xpress, you may remember from earlier posts, is the premier arts and entertainment newspaper in Western North Carolina (I think that's their tag line). My band has featured in the paper recently as a winner of a number of the 2009 "Best of WNC" awards....I digress.....

In said paper, I stumbled upon a picture of a couple holding pies. They were the new proprietors of a company called "Pies in Disguise". Ben, the male member of the couple (he's with Eliza, the pie maker) had a great smile and a huge beard, and I immediately began to carve his likeness into my cup. Lo and behold, the image came out amazingly -- Ben looked like Ben! I could hardly believe it....

Ben in the Mountain Xpress, photo by Jonathan Welch


So, time passed, and I would occasionally look at the cup and chuckle, thinking that maybe some serendipitious occurence would lead to Ben stumbling upon his cup, saying "Damn! That's me!" I could imagine the scene, and it made me laugh every time I did so...

More time passed, and I opened a different local publication to once again find Ben and Eliza smiling at me. I decided to take matters into my own hands, and I wrote an email to the couple, explaining that I had made a cup with Ben's face on it, that I would love for them to see it, that I wasn't a total freak. I mentioned my wife a few times in the email so that Ben wouldn't think that I was some sort of weird stalker or something of the sort.

Ben with the Cup


More time passed...a few days and no reply from Ben. I then saw a girl who it turns out knows Ben, who told me two important details. First, Ben wanted the cup! Second, he didn't think that I was a freak. I then got an email from Ben himself, that said something like "I want the cup. Don't sell my face!"

And then, finally, on Saturday, I met Ben and Eliza, and I presented Ben with his cup, which he loved...I charged them in pies instead of cash and they went on their way, enjoying....

The moment of meeting them and watching cup and man meet was very inspiring and very funny, so please stay tuned, as I think that I may be extending this idea further in the near future....

Check out their pies at www.piesindisguise.com

The Pies in Disguise Logo

No comments:

Post a Comment