04 February 2011

Sandorkraut

My email to Sandor Katz, author of "Wild Fermentation", the book I have been raving about non-stop on this blog:

Dear Sandor,

How are you? My name is Pancho, and I am writing with a few comments and questions.

First, let me say that I have enjoyed your books so very much. Wild Fermentation has been a great awakening for me. I am constantly thinking about fermention, talking about fermentation, planning fermented projects, or making something fermented. It's been great, and I recommend your book to all sorts of folks.

Before reading the book, I was already on the Kombucha train, and I had made a batch of kraut or two (overly salted though). Since reading your book, I've made great kraut, wonderful kimchi (even the woman at the local Korean food store liked it, much to her surprise -- you should have seen her face when I asked her to try it, she was very, very suspicious. After trying it though, she was amazed), some great cucumber kimchi (my favorite thing so far, like Lower East Side meets Koreatown), yogurt, onion wine, mead. It has been a wonderful adventure, and I thank you for facilitating it.

I am currently reading The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved, and I am enjoying that tremendously as well.

I also have two questions for you:

1) Have you ever heard of anyone making wine with wild greens? A friend/neighbor/landlord/gardener suggested it when I was fishing around for ideas of odd things to turn into wine, and I was very intrigued. Ever heard of that, and if so, have you heard good things about such a notion?

2) If I were to just mix sugar and water and leave it out, would that make wine ,or is there some missing link if nothing else of substance and nutrition is added? And if so, what do you think you would call it? Water wine?

Finally, just wanted to turn you on to my band, while I'm writing. We are called Sirius.B, and you should check us out and stop by a show if you are ever here (Asheville) when we are playing. You can hear us at www.siriusbmusic.com -- Let me know if you like it, and I'll be happy to send along a free cd.

Thanks again for your time, your book, your advice, and your consideration.

Sincerely,

--
Pancho Romero Bond
www.panchosvia.com
www.siriusbmusic.com
----------------------
Buy Sirius.B's new album,
MONKEY ROBOT SOLDIER
Now at WWW.SIRIUSBMUSIC.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment