29 November 2005

a few tired remarks

I'm really tired, but I feel like someone has chained me to the computer and refused to provide me with the key. I've been working quite a bit on the website, and I've even got the help of a Dutch friend that's quite good at visual-type stuff (see the music page graphic), so things seem to be coming along swimmingly. Thank you to everyone who has visited the site. Please feel free to download any music you like (mine or the Balsawood Players) and distribute it as you see fit. You will not be prosecuted for reckless downloading and copying of songs. On the contrary, you will be rewarded by someone. Someday. Somehow.

In other news, I finally got around to taking some pictures up in Little Italy in the Bronx. Unfortunately, some of the ones that I hoped to get proved quite difficult, so I plan to continue photographing in the area and return with a greater number of better images within a short time.

What is Little Italy in the Bronx?

Well, Little Italy in the Bronx is basically an area around Arthur Avenue (off of East Fordham Rd.--the sight of the Law and Order-like post of the other day), otherwise known as "Belmont". The official Arthur Avenue website says that the area is home to "tens of thousands" of Italian Immigrants, which sounds about right. The area has been popular with Italians for about one-hundred years, but in recent years has become a focus of Albanian/Kosovar immigration.

What is really wonderful about the area are a few things:

1. Arthur Avenue lacks the astro-turf restaurant patios of Manhattan's Little Italy. While some may find this a drawback, I personally see it as a great improvement on the Italian-American dining experience.

2. Going to Belmont truly feels somehow different. People are actually speaking Italian! Old ladies are chatting on park benches, husbands are looking old-world, those that don't speak italian are saying things like "forget about it" and "ciao."

3. You can find all sorts of food in the area that you would be hard-pressed to find anywhere else. For instance, if anyone needs a rabbit steak or a whole goat at any time, I would be happy to show them where to buy it.

4. You can occasionally see figures such as "Big Pussy" from the Sopranos in the area, sipping espresso and everything. (Unfortunately, I wasn't carrying my camera the day that I had the honor).

5. Translation and a joy in forthrightedness lend a true glow to the neighborhood.

So, I give you a couple of photos to enjoy. Hopefully I'll be back with more soon.
If you're interested in checking out Little Italy, take the 4 train or the B train to Fordham Road (it could be the D, but I'm pretty sure it's the B). Get off and walk down East Fordham Rd. (ask someone there which way).
If it's nighttime, walk briskly or take a cab. If it's daytime, walk leisurely and enjoy the dichotomy which is the Bronx.

Arrivederci. I'm going to bed.





No comments:

Post a Comment