02 December 2005

Chilling with TJ

I've made it to Charlottesville, VA...Home of the University of Virginia (designed by Thomas Jefferson, third president of the United States). Even though the University of Virginia denied my acceptance into the University (many years ago), I've always loved this town and the school, and I love the chance to come down here.

Last night Michelle and I headed out to dinner at a place called Mas. The food was great (Spanish tapas), the atmosphere was pleasant, and the waitstaff was super friendly (I was convinced the waitress wanted Michelle. She was convinced that the waitress wanted me). I have only two problems with the place--their T-shirts and the restaurant's name. Now, the place is called Mas, as I said. That can mean only two possible things:

a. The want to be known as "but" -- the meaning of the word mas.

b. They meant to be convey the idea of "more" (mas with an accent over the A) and failed to write the accent.

I tend to believe option number two, which bothers me to no end. I mean, if you're going to start a restaurant that serves Spanish food and has a Spanish name, can't you at least spell it correctly? This is like going to Spain and checking out a restaurant called "Grete food" or "Moor" or "Hambuergur Heavan." Maybe I'm being overly-critical.

The only other problem I had with the place was the fact that the back of the staff's t-shirts were emblazoned with completely nonsensical quotations. Like this one guy's shirt said "Definitely more cow bell." When I asked him to explain the quote, he told me that it came from a Will Farrell sketch on an episode of Saturday Night Live dealing with the song "Don't Fear the Reaper." Connection the restaurant theme? None at all.

Nonetheless, I was able to overlook these obviously glaring problems in light of the fact that the chorizo was delicious, the manchego cheese was pretty good, and the dates wrapped in bacon were divine. (Don't get me started on the imposter that they tried to squeeze on the menu with the name of Serrano Ham. What they gave us was most definitely NOT cured, delicious, salted, wonderful Serrano Ham from the sierras of Spain.) Still, all in all, I give the place two pretty enthusiastic thumbs up.

Have a great day.






No comments:

Post a Comment