31 May 2006

FEZ



The land of the famous hat.

I arrived here last night with some new friends, two Argentines and a Guatemalan-Canadian. All three are girls, which has made certain walks quite interesting. An example of the type of conversation men enjoy having with these ladies:

"You come to my house, I give you a massage? Do you want some aphrodisiacs? One man from Morocco can handle at least three women."

I generally have the choice to laugh, ignore the whole thing, or act stern. The last choice usually seems the riskiest of all.

Still, the city is great, and in many ways the typical Moroccan city, comprised of thousands of winding, confusing, endless streets. The medina, or old city, is divided into hundreds of different sections, and one can easily get lost and see nothing but fish for ages, or leather, or meat....

The place is crazy.

One thing that is honestly beginning to drive me a bit crazy is the call to prayer. I have always enjoyed this sound, which emanates from every mosque in every town five times a day. The problem is that, as the hours of sunlight and heat change, so too do the times of the call to prayer.

Unfortunately, it would appear that the first call to prayer at this time of year is approximately three in the morning. And so my sleep, day after day, is destroyed by fifteen minutes of singing at three a.m. This was, at first, quite "interesting", but has very quickly become a part of the local color which I would much rather sleep through.

Needless to say, I am drinking a lot of coffee.

Besides this, things continue to go well, and I hope to begin looking for a place to take some Arabic classes soon. Also, on Friday begins a ten day festival of Sacred Music from around the world, so this should be a great city in which to spend some time.

Anyway, that is all for now. More soon.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:45 AM

    Ah come on man! I'm sure a young American chap can handle those three lovely lasses just as well. A tip of the old fez to you sadeeqee.

    Ma' as-salaama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:46 AM

    oops...
    technology fooled me again.
    above comment by jerz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:30 AM

    Hi Chris: When I was in Jakarta a year or so ago there was a minaret right outside my hotel window and the recorded call to prayer went off every morning in the 4am range. I sympathize - you cannot sleep throught that.
    Is there anywhere you go that you DON'T end up traveling with at least a few women?
    Thanks for keeping the blog up. I love to read it. If there is anything to reincarnation - which I guess Brian can tell us - then I want to come back as you.
    Have fun and be safe

    ReplyDelete