29 June 2006

I change my plans more than my pants...

After writing earlier today, I headed off with my new friend to the Dar America, the American Cultural Center and library. I thought that I would drop off my resume, on the off chance that there was some available job for an American guy.

After passing through security, I headed into the library to speak with the librarian. His basic advice was to check somewhere else.

As he gave me directions for where I could go and check, a young woman in her early 20s approached and offered to show me the way to the school he recommended I visit. As even she could see from across the library, this guy's directions sucked. Quite a bit.

And so, we left, now four of us (her friend came along as well), and headed to the aformentioned school. The girls, Mona and Malika, turned out to have just completed their BA degree in English, and so were very happy to talk to us and practice their English. We, of course, were happy to meet some people from Casa.

The four of us walked around for ages after leaving my resume at the school. We walked through the city and discussed all sorts of things. I finally had a chance to discuss the role of women in Islam with an actual woman. I have a lot to learn, but Mona basically told me that the subjugation of women under the banner of Islam is the result of the cultural hijacking of a religion--that according to her, Islam is not a religion that limits the freedoms of women. Again, there is much to learn, and much to read, and there are many people to talk to. Still, she has offered to help me (virtually--via email) as I try to learn about Islam and the Muslim world, so this is a very valuable friend indeed.

They looked at me funny when I drank water sold out of the container of a man on the street. They looked at me even funnier when I mentioned how good the grilled sausages of the street vendor smelled. I guess I'm sort of a dirty traveler, and sometimes do things that people (at least sort of upper-middle class people) would never do.

Anyway, it was a great day, and full of interesting meetings. In recognition of this fact, I have once again changed my plans, and I will remain in Casa one more day. I am meant to meet up with Mona and Malika again tomorrow, to continue seeing the city and talking with them.

And so, until then, I leave you...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:55 PM

    salut mon frere driss pourquoi tu ne appelle moi .moi jatten ton appelle pu bien ton message ok bayyy

    ReplyDelete