28 June 2006

Wishing Upon a Sea Breeze

I met with Si (term of respect) Zouitni this morning at a nearby cafe. Of course, as is only natural for my first appointment in a month, I was a bit late.

Mr. Zouitni is a nice, quiet-mannered man, although I did not know this when I arrived at the cafe. And so I walked around the cafe, asking everyone if they were the man I was looking for. Just as I approached an obese man with a crutch, Mr. Z came to the rescue, raising his hand gently and motioning me toward him.

We spoke for an hour or so, discussing Morocco, my travels, and my academic work, as well as the city and University of El Jadida. Mr. Zouitni seems quite confident that the department will be able to raise sufficient funds to pay me, although I am trying not to get my hopes up too much. If all were to work out, I would start work here in the middle of September of this year.

I did almost nothing here yesterday, as the night bus had sapped me of all energy. After eating a delicious meal of fried fish, I retired to the hotel to indulge in the guilty pleasure of watching a couple of pretty dumb American films on the hotel television.

Tomorrow I head to Casablanca and then to Tangier, to work my way back to Spain, where I must be on the 1st of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment