29 November 2006

The Ivory Tower

It would seem that no matter how far or fast I run, the ivory tower of academia continues to bear down on me relentlessly.

I have received about 6 calls in the past few days from the University of North Carolina at Asheville. Apparently I sent them a resume at some point (probably about a year ago) and they are just now very strongly feeling the need for a full-time lecturer.

Happily, the break that I have had from teaching seems to have rejuvenated me, and I once again feel up to leading a classroom of apathetic undergraduates in a discussion of the subjunctive, the imperfect, or the preterit. And while I seem to have found a momentary calling in the restaurant industry, it will be nice to have this as a supplement to a full-time job, and not as a full-time job in and of itself.

I will be meeting with some people from the University on Friday afternoon, so we'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment