28 September 2007

I Got a Squeezebox, Nobody Sleeps at Night

Today, after much searching, I stumbled upon an accordion in a rare and delicious moment of serendipity. Xavi and I had traveled to the nearby town of Hendersonville, on the prowl for a PA System (pics of that tomorrow) that we thought we might find at the town's local music store.

Wandering through the aisles of the store, I looked around me with a vague and slight interest until I noticed two old accordions sitting on the floor. I picked one up immediately, strapped it on, and sounded out a few sour notes and chords. My love for the instrument was as immediate and intense as I expected it to be. This was, you see, the first time that I had even held one.

I have been looking for an accordion for some time now, peering at want ad magazines and posting notices on Craigslist.com. I have asked friends and family, and I have searched on e-Bay. There is, to be sure, no shortage of old accordions out there, but they are invariably quite expensive or quite rotten looking.

What has been so truly maddening about my search is that I am convinced that the attics of this world are packed full of accordions that nobody plays. It is just a matter of finding the right attic and the person with access to that attic. (Which, by the way, if you are that person, I know now that no man can have too many accordions, and I would be quite happy to free up that space in your attic.)

Today, as per usual, the accordion that I played was way too expensive, even in light of my love. 'Twas my luck, however, to discover that a guy working at the store had another accordion for sale. He went to the back of the store and came back with a beautiful (somewhat worn and tired-looking, but beautiful all the same) instrument. Just as I hoped, it came packed inside a 1920's looking case with velvet lining, making me think immediately of Ellis Island, cool three piece suits, and Polish beauties. I knew that I had to have the thing.

I played it and once again fell in love, proving that I am a complete and utter accordion slut. I bought it without a second thought, for the very reasonable price of 120 dollars (I got him down from $150), and walked out the door, struggling to contain a sudden and inexplicable urge to eat cabbage.

More soon, with pictures of the new PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment