12 September 2007

Timber Frame Style

Tomorrow morning, very early, I will leave to head Northeast to the bustling metropolis of Bakersville, NC. Upon arriving, around seven o' clock, after an hour's drive, I will begin day one (of four or five or six) of assisting in the raising of a timber frame house.

I don't know much about the process, though it apparently involves cranes, heavy lifting, hammering, and other such things. Below, you can see a picture of what I believe is a somewhat typical timber frame home.



What is quite interesting about these structures is that they use (apparently) no nails, but are rather held together using wooden pegs and a variety of joints.

I'll try and regularly update with pictures of the process, though considering the twelve-hour days ahead of me, this may be more difficult than I think.

More soon.

1 comment:

  1. You are correct, need that crane. The bents are assembled on the ground, and raised one by one. It's amazing to watch. Let us know how you do Chris!

    ReplyDelete