10 October 2007

The Birthday

Yesterday was quite a day. Yesterday was such an incredible day, in fact, that it may rate highest on the list of best birthday memories. (The award for Worst birthday memories is reserved for my 26th birthday, on which I was robbed blind by NYC thugs as a result of my own stupidity and trust).

Stupidity and trust were in full effect this year as well, but to a better end, as the machinations of Ellen and company were completely successful in suprising me with an amazing celebration. I'd like to give a play-by-play of the evening, but seem unable to do so (I don't know if this is a result of my slightly hungover state, my sub-par writing skills, or the nature of the story). I will therefore, tell the tale in a bullet-point style.

- Ellen took me to Shoji Retreats, "Asheville's Japanese Style Outdoor Hot Tub and Massage Spa". The place is beautiful, and I was treated to a one hour hot tub soak (in a private area, with views of the mountains and a bottle of champange) and a one hour massage. This was one of the most decadent moments in my life.

- Ellen had told me that after Shoji (which was a surprise in itself) there remained two parts of the evening, both of which were mysteries to me. I was also told that I would not be spending the night in Asheville, and I assumed that part two of the evening would be some sort of dining experience.

- When we stopped by Ellen's house so that she could "pop in and grab her bag for the night" I was greeted by a large number of screaming voices (saying "Surprise!") and noisemakers. The entire house was decorated with pictures of my face (including on the inside of the toilet seat) and balloons. I was very surprised, to say the least.

- Everyone was wearing small pictures of me on their shirts, many of them quite unflattering.

- The cupcakes were decorated with pictures of me.

The whole night was amazing. So many good friends came out (on a Tuesday), we ate great food and drank good beer, and played music late into the night.

I wish I could spin this yarn in a more entertaining fashion, but I am finding this impossible, so I'll stop here. Check out the pictures below.

PA100143


PA100137


PA090098


PA090094


PA100155

THESE LITTLE GUYS, GIVEN TO ME BY TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE, ARE MADE WITH ONE CONTINUOUS PIECE OF STRING


<PA100150

NO BIRTHDAY WOULD BE COMPLETE WITHOUT THE NECESSARY AMOUNT OF DELUXE DRIED SQUID


PA100157

ALSO NECESSARY ARE SHAKERS THAT LOOK LIKE FRUITS AND VEGETABLES

No comments:

Post a Comment