24 October 2007

The Pogues

In the recent review of sirius.B in the Mountain Xpress, the reporter made a comparison between us and the band "The Pogues." She wrote:

"One more comparison: The Pogues. I have to say it. There’s a certain sense of unpredictability (perhaps staged, but palpable, nonetheless) and an undercurrent of righteous anger to Sirius.B’s songs. Take the raucous, irascible “Francophile”: emotive, danceable and fiery. Surely there’s an element of the Shane McGowan (with a few more teeth and a chip on his shoulder) who took his band’s name from the Irish phrase “póg mo thóin” (meaning “kiss my arse"), yet still sweetly penned “Christmas in New York.”

Now, I had truly never heard of this band, and so I took it upon myself to do a bit of research, looking into some YouTube videos of these characters. I was already aware from the article of Mr. McGowan's missing teeth, but I certainly wasn't prepared fully. Check out the videos below. . . The first one shows a bit of a Pogues concert. The second shows why I should hope for this connection never to be applied too strictly.

Enjoy.



1 comment:

  1. Oh man the Pogues freaking rock. Matter of fact when I read the article I sent it to my buddy since he is a fan too. Shane is so cool because he doesn't give a flip about what he actually looks like and the music...stellar. I may need to burn a disc just so you have a better idea of the flow of their sound. Take it as a full compliment and you can pat yourself of the back for good dental hygiene to boot.

    ReplyDelete