24 October 2007

Wedding

After attending the Weinstein-Simson wedding the other day, I've decided that I'd really like to become Jewish. I am, however, not all that interested in the spiritual aspects of the religion (not to in any way detract from their worth), but rather in their ancient traditions, their super-cool weddings, and their kick-ass music.

I was the best man at this wedding, and it was truly an incredible experience to watch my best friend be married to a wonderful girl. I spoke for around ten minutes or so, giving a long and heartfelt speech, and followed it up with an acoustic version of my song, "Weinstein Cut His Hair Today", which I had mentioned during the toast. Unfortunately, the video of the toast is too long to get up on YouTube, though I hope to figure out a way to do so soon.

As usual, I'm in a rush and have much less time to write than I'd like. I must say, however, that the Horah is perhaps the most incredible of dances in the world. For those uninitiated, the Horah is a circular dance that is present in most Jewish weddings. Everyone dances (in a circle) to Jewish music, the bride and groom (and then their parents) are lifted high in the air in chairs, and everyone goes absolutely insane. There are, in fact, many different versions of the Horah in many different cultures. If you're interested in that sort of thing, check out Wikipedia's Article on the Hora(h)

I blame the Horah for my behavior late in the evening, when I harassed the 13-piece band until they played it again. In the words of the groom:

"I loved your speech and the song was incredible. I want to cry just thinking about them, it really meant a lot to me and Liz. But the moment that I will truly never forget is looking over at you, standing in front of the band, screaming "Come on! Come on!". All I could think was, "Oh no, Bond is going to get his ass kicked by the band at my wedding. What the hell is he doing?" And there you were, screaming "Come on guys!" And then, incredibly, you didn't get your ass kicked, and the band suddenly started playing the Horah again! That I will never forget."

To listen to a version of the song similar to the one in question, go HERE and scroll down to the song "Horah - Jewish Medley". After the "Hava Nagila" part, you'll hear what I heard the other night.

Sort of.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:54 PM

    I thought of you wanting to become Jewish kind of but not really tonight, when the boy Zack whom I tutor told me that he really wants to get a tattoo, but won't because being a Jew, he can't be buried in a Jewish cemetary if does.

    I decided to look this up, and according to what I read the ban is derived from this excerpt of Leviticus:
    "You shall not make gashes in your flesh for the dead, or incise any marks on yourselves: I am the Lord" (Leviticus 19:28)

    Just so you know what you're getting into hehe.



    ps Zack did say however that his uncle has several tattoos, further proof of what we've been discussing, that uncles are really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:00 PM

    I am an incompetent person.

    I of course did not mean to write "tattoo," "a signal on a drum, bugle, or trumpet at night, for soldiers or sailors to go to their quarters" (thanks dictionary.com haha) but in fact, "tatoo"...those funny lookin' things you got all over your arms and stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:05 PM

    I HATE MYSELF. I spelled it right the first time, doubted myself, and got tricked into reading some obscure definition and thinking I was wrong! Fusilame en la cabeza.

    ReplyDelete